Monday, April 18, 2011

Art Nouveau Poster

So here is my poster based on the Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts movements. I based my poster on one of my favorite movies, which happens to be Aladdin. I specifically focused on the main female character, Jasmine. I tried to show her torn between the freedom she longs for (symbolized by the bird in her hand, just like the doves she releases in the movie) and being loyal to her father and kingdom (shown at the bottom). 

Pieces I was inspired by:
I used the girl as the focus of my poster. 

Used the flowers in her hair to add to Jasmine's hair. 

Used pattern in the background. 

Used border for my poster. 
Used the bird. 

10 Common Elements from Art Nouveau & Arts and Crafts Movement:
1. Soft Organic lines can be seen in both her hair and the green border. 
2. Black outlines are are seen throughout the female figure form, as well in her hair. 
3. Women were often the center of art nouveau posters, so for that reason I chose Jasmine and not Aladdin from the film.
4. Centering images or having a focus point (often a woman) was very common in posters back then. Although the city scape at the bottom is a little big, your eye first goes to the woman in the middle. 
5. I tried to stick with a bright color palette as well. Most posters tended to use only a few colors. I used about five main colors, and a few shades of those. 
6. Natural inspiration was a big influence during the art nouveau period. it was very common to see floral and plant-like images seen in posters. I tried to incorporate it throughout the image- floral pattern, flowers near border and in her hair, and the bird in her hand. 
7. Borders were often seen as additional element to many posters, something Grasset often did. 
8. Pattern became particularly popular during the arts and crafts movement. William Morris was a great designer of theses patterns, so I included one his patterns in the back. 
9. Simplified, flat shapes were something that started emerging in Herni de Toulouse-Lautrec's work. I tried to include that in mine with the city scape at the bottom.   
10. Symbolic shapes were also another element that became popular. I used the city to represent Jasmines' loyalty to her father and country, and the bird represents her freedom. 

2 comments:

  1. Great piece and explanation on how you created it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work. Is the "Bitter Orientals" a work by "Privat-Livemont"? It is so s8milar to his famous absinthe poster. I am lucky enough to own a small stone lithograph of his from a "Dekorative Vorbilder" portfolio.

    ReplyDelete